& School Issues
Your child can succeed in school!
As an ADD / ADHD Coach, my work involves teaching those students diagnosed
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
- Attention Deficient Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Asperger's Syndrome and
- High-functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
ADD and ADHD symptoms can be mystifying when students spend an enormous amount of time on school work yet have little to show for their efforts - conventional ways of studying simply don't work well.
The good news is though, that there are methods I can introduce you to that help make your child's brain work more efficiently. The result? Your child's increased productivity.
My work focuses on the following:
- First, demystifying ADD/ADHD and answering the question:
"What is ADD/ADHD?"
- Discussing your concerns relating to the "label" of the diagnosis.
- Teaching ways to reduce depression, anxiety, nervousness and the fear of failure. Such feelings can be road blocks to successful learning, so our work together focuses on helping your child develop emotional feelings of worthiness while learning new methods to increase achievement both in and out of school.
- Redirecting your child toward the learning path from which they've detoured due to repeated attempts and failures. In these instances, many students have “given up” and as a result exhibit poor self-esteem and little ability to protect themselves from the emotions that come with new trials and tribulations. Further work reintroduces students to the world of learning using a motivational approach which employs new strategies and support methods.
- Helping your child realize that learning is a “process” and that success is tied to the "effort" expended rather than the grade received. Parents and students learn that grades should not be the focus, though academic marks do tend to improve after alternate learning techniques are adopted. Parents will also learn new methods to support their child's style of learning as well as how and when to reward them.
- Showing your child actual "hands-on" methods to organize all aspects of their lives, from their backpacks to their rooms at home. Additional work focuses on utilizing efficient methods of “chunking” work, challenging self, self-monitoring, taking breaks, understanding the role of good nutrition, and learning how to "see" and understand the importance of time.
- Encouraging you to understand that although your child’s behaviors may appear to be lazy, outrageous or irresponsible, other explanations are probable. We work together to develop appropriate responses to “bad behavior” based on the methodology of A/A (Acknowledge/Align), which is rarely used by parents and must be employed to promote child success.
- Empowering children of all ages to STEP UP, SPEAK UP and CHALLENGE THEMSELVES in ways they never considered!
I'm pleased to offer both office and in-home sessions.
Contact me today to learn how you can learn to help your child succeed in school with ADHD Coaching and also read my article "Helping Your AD/HD Students Succeed".
Serving clients in Torrance, Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach, Palos Verdes, Manhattan Beach, South Bay and Los Angeles area; ADD/ADHD Coach.